Pages

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Seungri: “You have to surpass Big Bang to debut in YG” Posted by bbu on August 29, 2013  

seungri-lets-talk-about-love-18

The youngest of group Big Bang, who recently had their 7th anniversary, came back with his second solo mini album. Seungri, who is receiving a lot of love with his cute and witty image as Big Bang's youngest member, is showing a fierce play in his musical ability.

In his second mini album “LET'S TALK ABOUT LOVE”, Seungri took a challenge in writing, composing, and producing songs. Seungri, who worked as a producer of an album for the first time, participated in the whole process of making the album.

“I was ordered by CEO Yang Hyun Suk to start working on my solo album. After that, I asked G-Dragon of Big Bang and Teddy to work with me, but they were busy. Teddy was producing songs for 2NE1 and Kang Seung Yoon, and G-Dragon was in the middle of his solo world tour and had to make his own solo album, so he could not help me out. I thought that I would have to accept the dare because I couldn't wait forever.”

“A producer not only participates in making songs, but also in the sales, promotions, and the advertisement of the album. So I thought of this as studying and participated in all the meetings for this album. Along with the music video and the teaser video, I took part in small details such as the release date and the type of image that I want to demonstrate through this album. It was a good experience. As a singer for 7 years, participating in the whole process was fun and worthwhile.”

seungri-lets-talk-about-love-15

“I wanted to push away my image as an entertainer and approach more seriously.”

The title song of the new mini alum “GOTTA TALK TO YOU” is a fast-tempo lyrical house music. Also, in the first track “LET'S TALK ABOUT LOVE,” group members G-Dragon and Taeyang participated in writing and composing the song. What was your biggest concern for this album?

“I wanted to push away my image as an entertainer and approach the audience more seriously. Since I am the youngest member of the team, if my image is light, my music may appear frivolous to the audience. Because of this, I tried to emphasize masculinity and solemness. If I didn't, my music would sound frivolous. I wanted people to say that I have become more handsome in my music video and photo shoots, so I paid attention to the visuals.”

Big Bang is a veteran group that has been here for 7 years. Unlike other hyungs of the group who appeals manly and charismatically not only in their songs but also publicly, Seungri, you are positioned towards a cute image. Were there any inconveniences to this?

“During my rookie days, I think I dressed up as a girl, a kindergartener, etc. I had to wear clothes that were left over after the hyungs had chosen theirs. In reality, I think TOP and GD are very good at looking cool. The image of Big Bang wouldn't be balanced if I do the same. It's good to take the position I can take. Also, I was taught that the role of a maknae is to transform what the hyungs didn't want to do into my own talents and charms. I should do well in my place.”

The third track of the mini album “GG BE” features Jennie Kim, who is known as a member of a future YG girl group, grabbed the attention of the audience.

“‘GG BE’ is a song that describes the feelings of a man who is being continuously tricked by his girlfriend. Because girls would not be happy to hear just the man's side of the story, we came up with an idea that there should be a girl making an argument. Jennie was practicing beside us at that time. I asked her to feature my song and we recorded the song right away. CEO Yang was happy about it that it was released like that.”

After Seungri produced his own solo album, he was offered to work again with the co-composers who worked on the album with him. They were indirectly giving praise to Seungri's producing skills.

“I didn't know that producing an album would be this hard. It's amazing how CEO Yang Hyun Suk and GD produced lots of albums like this. After the album was released through a laborious process, my co-composers said, ‘I want to work on more songs with you in the future.’ I was very happy to hear those words from such talented composers. In a way, I was happy to gain recognition from them.”

seungri-lets-talk-about-love-17

“Though Big Bang also went through a survival program, ‘WIN’ is different”

The program that produces a new boy group from YG Entertainment, “WHO IS NEXT: WIN” on tvN is becoming a hot topic. YG introduced a survival competition to select the members of a new boy group “Winner” that will follow in the footsteps of Big Bang. 11 trainees are divided into Team A and B, and the winning team will be chosen through the voting of the audience. Of the 11 trainees, Seungri pointed out Kim Jinwoo as the trainee that he keeps his eyes on.

“I want to cheer for Kim Jinwoo from Team A. I kept him in my academy until he got into YG 4 years ago. He was in YG for a while, and he bet his life on it. Once he got into YG, I stood back behind him and said, ‘You can find your way now.’ However, I am still attached to him and want to cheer for him. I think that other trainees are also lonely and stressed. I understand their feelings because Big Bang also debuted through a survival program.”

Compared to the survival program that Big Bang went through 8 years ago, what are the differences between Big Bang's survival program and WIN?

“At that time, things progressed favorably because there weren't groups like Big Bang in YG. However, YG is very different now. There are artists like Big Bang, 2NE1 and Psy. Today, you cannot debut if you are average in your abilities. YG would want to debut trainees who can surpass Big Bang and 2NE1. This is the reason why trainees from ‘WIN’ would be under pressure. The fact that they must surpass their seniors to debut is harsh.”


Source : bigbangupdates[dot]com

No comments:

Post a Comment