Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Daesung's Interview with HMV Posted by vic on August 14, 2013  

As a member of the highly popular group BIGBANG, D-LITE released his solo album “D’scover” in February 2013. This also marks his debut as a solo singer. After touring the nation for a long period of time, he is now stepping into a new level. Let us be with him to think back about what he did up till now and to understand the story behind new single ‘I Love You’.

In his friendly smile, we can detect warmth and diligence behind it. Let's use this interview as an excuse to understand him as a solo artist and what type of passion and sincerity he holds for music.

daesung-hmv_001

HMV: D-LITE san who has such a splendid smile, do you have times when you get angry?
D-LITE: That's such a random question (laugh). Of course, it’s normal. Especially when I do music-related work, I encounter things that make me angry.

HMV: This is because you put your soul into your work and you work really hard. Are you the type who will not reveal in front of people that you are angry?
D-LITE: (Look towards his manager) What do you think? Am I?
Manager: Daesung have not reprimanded anybody before, he does not get angry in many situations. However, for example, if there's a live performance and things are not prepared well, he will say something like “If you can’t prepare on time, you should've informed us earlier”. He only says this when he encounters situations like this.

HMV: For your first solo tour “D-LIVE D’scover Tour 2013 in Japan ~DLive~ (March-June 2013 in 20 cities and 26 venues), you also had encore concerts which made you go on tour for a long time. After wrapping up all your shows, are there any changes in your mood?
D-LITE: Yes, there are some feelings that I can’t put into words. For example, I have been singing everyday and if I have a break in between for 2-3 days, I totally forget my mood and the feeling when I sing. In retrospect, there are times where I felt like things were being halted in the middle. But after the solo tour this time, I really feel that even if I have a mid-break (without any performance), I still have to maintain my mood for the song and I have gotten used to it through this tour.

daesung-hmv_002

HMV: In BIGBANG’s concert and D-LITE’s concert, the atmosphere for both is a little different.
D-LITE: Oh (⊙o⊙). Is it different?! (laugh)

HMV: In BIGBANG’s concert, there is always a feeling where you guys have very strong sense of presence and motivated. In D-LITE’s concert it felt more gentle, like you were enjoying the slow pace of it and it lets people feel warm and comfortable.
D-LITE: Ah~ So it’s like this. To me, fans have the same existence as my family.

HMV: About your solo album release in Japan, what did BIGBANG members feel about it?
D-LITE: They didn’t really say anything specially. Really didn’t (laugh). I think it is because we are all men, we are not used to saying our thoughts about these things. But definitely, they did listen to my album and they also came for my live concerts. At this point of time, they would say things like “You’ve worked hard” or “We’ll see you back in Korea” (laugh).

HMV: They don’t need to say much for you to understand them. All of you really have a good understanding of each other.
D-LITE: Yes. We understand each other even between words. It has been 7 years since we first debuted in Korea back in 2006. Although we don’t say anything special to each other, all of us will always support and care for each of us even without words. So I said, their thoughts all dissolved to words like “You’ve worked hard!” (laugh).

HMV: (laugh). When listening to “D’scover”, I feel that it has a slight difference in music as compared to BIGBANG’s. For example there is rock and band sound (using simple guitar, jazz drums, bass, keyboard) and acoustic. I will think that “Oh do you also like this type of genre?” What is your usual choice of music?
D-LITE: I listen to anything! I feel that music is just like the ocean, when it is huge they have all types of fish. It can be different types or different languages but it all doesn’t matter. I first wanted to become a singer due to Maxwell’s portrayal of RnB music. But right now, I listen to any type of music because to me, no matter what style or genre it is, it is a good learning experience!

HMV: We have some questions to ask you regarding the 31st July release of ‘I Love You’. This is a song that is as legendary as its creator. We wouldn’t talk about Japan, but just in Korea itself, it is also an extremely famous song. How do you feel about re-creating this classic song that always has a place in people’s hearts?

D-LITE: I still feel very uneasy even up till now.

HMV: Do you feel pressured?
D-LITE: I feel really uneasy. Although I am a Korean singer covering a song by a Japanese, however in Korea itself, there is already a senior who covered this song and received good comments. Also, this is one of my favourite songs. There have already been so many people who covered this song and now I will have to cover this song on its base… Because of this, I definitely feel uneasy.

Actually when I first heard the cover version, I did not like it at all. Regardless of who it is, the original song is filled with so many memories that is irreplaceable. No matter how good I am in singing, I am unable to re-create these memories of the original song. In “D’scover”, and also ‘I Love You’, this was the point I was most worried about. Every individual who listened to these songs have their own memories pertaining to the original songs and the vibe it gives off. When I perform, I have to perform without ruining these memories and also how to add in my colors naturally. This is a point we are most concerned about and also the one we are most worried of. In ‘I Love You’ this time, the first verse of the song is similar to the original song, I only started to add my colors in from the second verse onwards.

daesung-hmv

HMV: What do you think about the lyrics of the song?
D-LITE: I really like the meaning of the lyrics. Through my own understanding of the song, I tried to perform it well to let others know what I want to say.

HMV: It doesn’t contain a positive message and the lyrics talk about a future which doesn’t seem to exist.
D-LITE: Yes. Previously I mentioned about the senior band in Korea, POSITION who covered this song too. When compared to the original version, I felt that their lyrics felt more beautiful. However it is different this time because I would have to perform in Japanese, I was deeply touched by one of the sentence of the lyrics. I thought to myself that I would have to emphasize on the courage, lack of fear and strength of the couple when performing, so I started discussing with producer Seiji Kameda.

HMV: The album was also produced by Seiji Kameda, right? However, this time you are performing with violinist Mr. Hakase Taro. How do you feel about Mr. Hakase Taro?

D-LITE: In the beginning, I thought that the world-renowned violinist would be strict and odd. But after actual interaction, I realised he is very cheerful and friendly. In my tour, the drummer Muraishi Masayuki is a mutual friend of me and Mr. Hakase Taro. After interaction with both of them, we naturally clicked well together. Mr Hakase Taro recorded just 3 times before it was completed.

HMV: Mr. Hakase Taro is really so focused!
D-LITE: Yes and his violin skills is really wonderfully good. When I do my recording, I always have to listen to the instrumental colors and feel the power in it and blending it in to the song. For Mr. Hakase Taro’s violin, once his violin started playing, I clearly knew what I wanted to do and what I want to present. Due to such great help, I completed my recording faster than before.

HMV: I would also like to ask, will we get more and more addicted with D-LITE san’s version of the song?
D-LITE: Eh? I’m also not that good (laugh).


Source : bigbangupdates[dot]com

No comments:

Post a Comment