Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Seungri's Interview with Esquire Korea (September 2013) Posted by vip4daesung on August 23, 2013  

seungri-esquire_003

할말있어요 (Gotta Talk to You)

I don’t have confidence. I haven’t fully understood or correctly identified the confidence needed for what Seungri says. I haven’t felt like this in a long time.

BIGBANG’s popularity is immensely shocking especially as leaders in the fashion world. G-dragon & Taeyang both appeared at Paris Fashion Week and fashion enthusiasts from around the world were noticing their every move. Being an editor and having encountered them before, a simple greeting with them made me happy for a long time. They are already superstars in Asia, but I have never had a chance to meet with Seungri. Not only in real life but I haven’t seen him on screen in a long time. Ah! Except when I went to Japan last time for a trip. I confirmed he was still alive when I saw him on a Japan TV show. He wasn’t together with his hyungs as BIGBANG, but as a solo Seungri to come to do his solo photo shoot. I heard this was his first time too, and he has debuted for 8 years already. It was already lucky enough for us to spend time with him, but Seungri on the other hand was a bit nervous.

"When I found out a week ago that I would be doing a photo shoot, I spent a lot of time researching, finding information and talking to a lot of people. I had to do all of that because the other members are all very sharp and talented fashion-wise."

We suggested filming Seungri while he danced because it’s the most natural and most beautiful. The body movements can reveal how mature he looks as a man. Even though the photo shoot was done at midnight but he was still very elegant in every move he did; like a ballerina. He lost weight to get ready for his album release on August 19, and we captured his more defined facial structures for the shoot.

"Actually there weren’t any concrete plans to release that album and then it suddenly happened. My musical style is the most inadequate within BIGBANG and on the contrary, my image is better on variety shows and activities in Japan. This is why I lost a lot of confidence in music, but Yang Hyun Suk sajangnim and the members gave me back the courage to gain back this confidence. I used to be very confident but I was affected by these real life obstacles. "

Is it because you’re the youngest?

"No, this has nothing to do with age, but the cold and brutal society, the general public’s reactions and how they viewed me. I realized there were differences in the way they treated things, and it made me understand that having confidence is not enough to resolve these issues."

"Strong Baby and VVIP both did really good, they were cute and it made people happy but sometimes I don’t want to read serious topics or hear criticism. There were times when I didn’t even want to listen to music anymore."

"Well actually the songs were not bad before. I don’t know, but maybe the target I wanted to reach to was set too high, or perhaps it wasn’t the result I was looking for. This is why I did a lot of research before this album was released. I accumulated a lot of experience while being on world tour with BIGBANG and working with a lot of really great staff. I had to be more confident than before, so I wanted to produce a good high quality album.”

seungri-esquire_001

I’m very curious what the 24yr old Seungri prepared.

This album’s title is called ‘Let’s Talk About Love’, and like its name, the topic is love. I wanted to put the real me into this album. It’s not really the music that I want to do but I produced something that I want everyone to listen to. I think I’m now at the age where I can talk about love more deeply.

As mentioned before, he is doing activities in Japan as a celebrity but not only that but he is also the main host for famous variety shows. He also proved he could act by starring in a TV drama, and his Japanese level is above average.

I’m the one that likes to talk a lot amongst the members, but in Korea it seems that if one talks too much, they are considered frivolous even in music, so I need to be extra careful. However, it’s different in Japan. It was a very big challenge for me but also a great experience. Doing activities in Japan whilst being a newcomer allowed me to have the chance to re-evaluate myself.

Using a foreign language to make gags is not easy.

It’s a bit different because of the culture differences, so even the gags aren’t the same but using a foreign language to communicate was both interesting and it was something that I enjoyed.

I haven’t watched many Japanese shows that he’s been on except once on the variety show, Downtown DX with the duo gag hosts and several times when he was on Kindaichi. I could sense his enjoyment through his bright expressions. He has the kind of aura that can affect other people. BIGBANG also has that presence, but I could definitely feel that happy aura on him and being an entertainer everywhere.

As part of the BIGBANG content, and if we were to add Seungri as part of that content, I feel that I should do well in every aspect. Even though I’ve tried acting before but there are a lot of role limitations because I’m still very young. I guess I’m still growing up so I don’t have any big desires. I just want to have a bit more life experiences before I try a more mature role.

Even though he’s known as Seungri to us, but he uses the name Victory for activities within the rest of Asia. The first time I heard of the name Victory was through a close foreign fashion editor.

Well, it’s all the same. It’s just that the name Seungri is a bit hard to pronounce, so that’s why I used Victory or the first 2 letters, V.I. to promote. It was hard to create a character different from the other members though. Not only in music but I want to create an image where I’m known to be happy, humorous and have manners. In a time where so many things are happening in society, and where everyone is working so hard, I think the most important thing is to smile.

seungri-esquire_004

This (happy image) is different from the “cool” BIGBANG that we thought.

Yes. Actually it is.

Are there a lot of pressure if your image and your group’s image are different?

No, there are none because I can do things that my BIGBANG hyungs can’t, and there are also things they can do that I can’t so I don’t feel any pressure. I’m not really sure about this, but I hope a happy image of me come to people’s minds when they think of a person called Seungri.

As a person who pursues a character that intertwines with society, he has also encountered a setback on a variety show in Korea.

That was during puberty. I thought I could do really well, but the result wasn’t as expected. I felt very sad of course, but as time went on, I realized it takes time to find that happiness and humorous side of myself. I wanted that feeling where I could be both elegant and sexy at the same time.

He said that he wants to use this chance to become a more attractive and sexy man after his activities are over this time. I suddenly was curious about something that happened before. I heard that if the hyungs bought things first, then you (the maknae) can’t buy them even if you really wanted it. For example, if a hyung bought a pair of running shoes, then the maknae can’t buy them. Something like that right?

I can’t buy it. Didn’t Saint Laurent change their designer to Hedi Slimane? Well, I didn’t buy their stuff at all because the hyungs all have it. They also have Rolex so I can’t buy that either. Talking about this makes me think of the time when G-dragon hyung and I bought the same style of pants. In the end, I didn’t get to wear it once and I sold it. That’s why I try to find brands that the hyungs don’t really like. Well, this makes me like another side of things. Recently, I’ve come to like brands like Maison Martin Margiela and Alexander Mcqueen etc.

He said he worked very hard for 8 years to create his own style. He took the opportunity to choose the one style that the other 4 members didn’t like. It’s very wise.

If I want to survive, that’s the only thing I can do. There’s always going to be something different when the 5 of us stand together. How would I stand out If I wore the same clothes as G-dragon and Taeyang? I want people to recognize me as Seungri from the back. Even though I’m still not that mature yet, but I’m still slowly finding the colors that belong to myself.

Since the album topic is about love, this makes people curious about his love style.

I can’t do complicated relationships. I haven’t once made the other person felt irritated or threw a tantrum at them. My relationship rule is “interesting, happy and feels good”. I’m satisfied as long as I can see her smile.

seungri-esquire_007

But when the relationship ends, won’t you feel very empty?

No, not really. If I poured my heart to you but you no longer loved me then that love is really gone. I can’t hold on to her anymore so it’s better to end it as clean cut as possible.

Is this why you have so many noona fans? Because of your blunt personality?

That’s great. Older women are very attractive. To be honest, I’ve had feelings for a noona that was born in 1975.

He spoke again about a change in the new era.

The younger generation are maturing faster in terms of spirit because of the Internet and the mass media in this changing era. I see a lot of kids these days and I think they behave very mature for their age; like an adult. Rather than becoming an adult, I hope to become a person with personality and emotions.

Ah, a free person, like a hippie, or an artist. But will YG allow this?

If I did something wrong, of course I will get scolded. If my mistake hurt the group, then I should be scolded. I admit it. It’s inevitable to have consequences. My career needs creativity. I didn’t know this before but I understand the importance of experiences 5 years after I debuted. I need to have experiences in order for me to express myself better. As for YG, he will accept it freely as long as it’s within the scope of things.

We talked for a bit about the pain of growing up since the time of debut when he was 16 years old to the time of overcoming scandals. This discussion made him realize about the most precious things in life, and there is not really enough time to try to fully understand his soul. You don’t know when you will fall down when you’re at the peak. What have you planned for the future?

This topic was brought up with my members while we were out drinking. For us, popularity is no longer important. We’ve had a lot of love and we’ve experienced popularity. What we really want now is honor. What I mean by that is applause. I hope I can become that person where people who’ve seen me for the first time will stand up and applaud me for the things that I do. Why? Because when you pass by a street and suddenly hear a live performance or a song that makes you emotional, you might applaud them right? Instead of listening to fans screaming, I would rather hear applause at a talk show or at concerts.


Source : bigbangupdates[dot]com

No comments:

Post a Comment